The church Santa Caterina a Formiello was founded around 1510, designed by Antonio Fiorentino Cava, and completed in 1593. It was one of the first churches to introduce the dome in Naples. The church is dedicated to the virgin and martyr Catherine of Alexandria. It was an important part of a former convent of Celestine origin, then Dominican after 1498, until the 19th century, where it was used as a wool factory.
The interior is in Latin cross with a nave covered by a barrel vault with five chapels on each side. The Roman Mannerist painter, Luigi Garzi, worked on the counter-façade and also painted the triangles above the vaults of the chapels, the crows of the dome, and the great vault of the nave. The dome was painted by Paolo de Matteis. The ceilings of the chapels are frescoed by Guglielmo Borremans, the decorations of the choir are by Gaetano Brandi.
The high altar was commissioned by the family Spinelli of Cariati, to whom belong also the tombs that surround it. On the wall near the altar is a Madonna of St. Thomas Aquinas by Francesco Curia. A chapel preserves a painting of Saint Dominic that defeated the Albigensian heretics, by Giacomo del Po.
In the first chapel, the paintings of St. Catherine of Alexandria are by Giacomo del Po, The Visitation is from Garzi. In the following chapel, of St James, are preserved the remains of 240 martyrs of Otranto, moved here by Alfonso II of Aragon in 1574.