Important historical crossroads of the city, located towards the direction of the city of Capua, the Porta Capuana strong> which is near the Castel Capuano strong> of Naples was built in 1484 strong> by the King Ferrante of Aragon strong>.
The church of San Gregorio Armeno, with its monastery, is also known as St. Patrick's Church. It is located in the historic center of Naples, in a street known for its crèche shops and craftsmen of sacred art.
San Lorenzo Maggiore is one of the oldest basilicas in Naples, located on the site of the ancient Greek agora. Dating back to the 13th century, its interior has retained its Gothic style. The apse, unique in its kind in southern Italy, is an example of French Gothic. While towards the transept, the Gothic becomes Italian, sign of the evolution of the builders.
The Basilica of Santa Chiara, the largest Gothic church in Naples, with the adjoining monastery, was built between 1310 and 1328 by Robert of Anjou, on some Roman baths of the first century AD, near the west wall of the city. Located in the Piazza del Gesù Nuovo in front of the Church of Jesus it was included in the convent of the Poor Clares adjacent.Several tombs of Angevins are sheltered including those of Charles of Calabria and Robert the Wise.
Piazza San Domenico (Saint Dominic square) is one of the most important squares of Naples, located along the decuman, the Spaccanapoli, an ancient city road that cuts it from east to west, right in the historic center. It's a pedestrian zone today.
Previously a large market, the Dante Square took its current form in the second half of the eighteenth century with the intervention of the great architect Luigi Vanvitelli, at the request of Foro Carolino, with the intention of constituting a monument in honor of Charles of Bourbon.
The Cathedral of Naples, built at the end of the 13th and at the beginning of the 14th century is known for the relics of Saint Gennaro, saint patron of the city, but also the oldest Christian baptistery of the West.
Façade de Gesu Nuovo de Naples
The Church of Gesù Nuovo (New Jesus) or Great Trinity is one of Naples’ most important basilicas, so named to distinguish it from the old church of Jesus. It was originally a 15th century …
This long street of Naples, whose origin is Greco-Roman is called Spaccanapoli, it divides into two parts the Naples of the nineteenth century.
9h00 – 19h30 (entries until 19h)
Weekly closing on Tuesdays; Closures: January 1st, May 1st, December 25th.
Tel: +39 0815441494 – Fax: +39 081440013…