Padula Charterhouse (Certosa di San Lorenzo di Padula) is the largest monastery in Italy, located in the town of Padula in the Val di Diano.
The monastery was founded by Thomas Sanseverino, count of Marsico in 1306, on the site of a former monastery.
The main part of the Chartreuse is baroque and occupies an area of 51,500 m² with more than 320 rooms. One of its cloisters is the vast world (about 12,000 m²), surrounded by 84 columns
A large spiral staircase, in white marble, leads to the large library whose floor is covered with ceramic tiles Vietri sul mare. Mention also its peaceful cloisters, the chapel decorated with precious marble, the large kitchen or the vast cellars. The monks produce wine, olive oil, and fruits and vegetables.
An archaeological museum is nowadays housed (Provincial Archaeological Museum of Western Lucania), which contains a collection of objects from the excavations of the necropolis of Sala Consilina and Padula, covering a period from prehistory to the Hellenistic period .