Minori, named Regiana, which was later added Minor‘s epithet to distinguish it from the more recent neighboring town called Reginna Maior (Maiori).
It was influential for its Arsenal, its construction site and its prisons, and was even raised to the status of diocese in 987 by Pope John XV. Many of the Doges of the Republic of Amalfi stayed there frequently and some are buried in the cathedral.
At a certain earlier period, the craftsmanship of Minori was the bleaching of canvases, the tanning of skins, deli meats, the paper mill, or pasta. Export was important in Italy, but also in much of Western Europe.
The center of the village is crossed by the small river “Farinola” or “Reginnolo”, at the source of which is Ravello.
Its origins are common with those of Amalfi, whose glory and honors it shared. But when the Maritime Republic fell, some minorists rose up. Of this event, remains in particular the imprisonment by the Salernitan prince Guaimario IV, a malevolent man and hated by the people, of the second bishop of Minori, Sergio, who was robbed of all his goods.
Released from captivity at a high price, the good Sergio regained his episcopal seat.
The storm of 11 April 1597 was so tragic and so terrible that all the walls of the city were destroyed. Among the other calamities that the city experienced were the plagues of 1492, 1528 and 1656. That one of 1656 was considerable, perished 355 people, a third of the population.